Search This Blog

Trendy Knitting Patterns from me, to you...

Lovingly designed by me, for you...

polka dot

polka dot

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Happy Sunday!

Guess what!?!  I am still alive!  Sometimes {okay every time}, I let December at our crazy house, with it's 5 birthdays, an anniversary, Christmas and New Years tucker me out so much that something ends up shutting down for a while...and guess what it was this year...?  My blog...sorry! The saddest part is that I missed blogging about the funnest parts of our year!!!

Normally, I do not blog on the sabbath day, but I was sitting here reading all these wonderful things, and I decided that I could keep it all to myself, or share, and since sharing is caring, here I am!  I will do a catch up post soon soon soon, but for today, I just wanted to offer a few inspiring quotes from my Sunday evening study...

On Reverence:

"When we meet to learn the doctrines of the gospel, it should be in a spirit of reverence...

the world grows increasingly noisy...

this trend to more noise, more excitement, more contention, less restraint, less dignity, less formality is not coincidental nor innocent nor harmless.

The first order issued by a commander mounting a military invasion is the jamming of the channels of communication of those he intends to conquer.

Irreverence suits the purposes of the adversary by obstructing the delicate channels of revelation in both mind and spirit...

Reverence invites revelation."

~ Boyd K. Packer, Conference Report, Oct. 1991 ~


I had the following thoughts after reading this quote:

1.  Reverence is not just a Sunday or "church" thing, and goes far beyond an outward appearance, but is an inward decision to show admiration and respect for Deity in every facet of my life.

2.  I need to have less distractions in my life in order to be in a place where I can receive personal revelation more readily.  In my own life, I decided that might mean turning off my social media notifications on my phone, so that I'm not constantly drawn in by the "noise" of everyone else out there, and can focus more on my family and my present situation {the needs of my kids etc}.  I need to be 100% present for them and their needs, and in doing so, feel the spirit more in my parenting.   I can find an appointed time for my extra-curricular "social media habits", stick to the perimeters I set for myself, and as a bonus, waste a lot less time.


On Parenting {or other teaching} with love:

"By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile -

Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;

That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death:

~ Doctrine & Covenants 121: 41-44 ~


My thoughts:

I don't want my kids to esteem me as their enemy!  I want to always be someone they feel they can turn to, someone they love and trust and feel they can share things with.  They are my little best friends!  So... I need to ALWAYS follow up with love after I discipline :)



"Never chasten beyond the balm you have within you to bind up."

~ Brigham Young, 1941 ~


"A woman's words can be more piercing than any dagger ever forged, and they can drive the people they love to retreat beyond a barrier more distant than anyone in the beginning of that exchange could ever have imagined...How is it that such a lovely voice which by divine nature is so angelic, so close to the veil, so instinctively gentle and inherently kind could ever in turn be so shrill, so biting, so acrid & untamed?"

~ Jeffrey R. Holland, The Tongue of Angels, May 2007


Note to self:

Remember to not lose your cool Lise-Anne...these kids love you and take to heart every word that comes out of your mouth.  Don't use those words to criticize, belittle, or cut someone down.  Even after an apology,  words stay with people, and the affects of those words can last a lifetime.


And the last one {that goes along with all of the above quotes and statements}...

"Remember that change takes time.  Keep working patiently, and never give up on someone who is having problems.  Be consistently positive in your approach to the person."

~ Teaching, No Greater Call, p. 86 ~


Well, I don't know about ya'll, but I'm feeling empowered!!!

....because...


"The gospel of Jesus Christ is not weight, it is wings!"

~ Jean A. Stevens, Conference Report, April 2014 ~


Happy Sunday Everyone!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog post. I love it. It has lifted and blessed me already. Thanks for sharing your wonderful insight with the rest of us. Love you. Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete