Search This Blog

Trendy Knitting Patterns from me, to you...

Lovingly designed by me, for you...

polka dot

polka dot

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Now and then...

As I was looking around the web today, I came across a Museum in Ontario, called the Bala Museum.  I looked around the site, and found some interesting things.  There was an intriguing exhibit that talks about how hand knitting changed abruptly with the outbreak of the two world wars in the last century.  Take a look at some of the products that emerged from these events, what I think may have sparked some of the trendy patterns we have today:

Fingerless gloves are all the rage now.  Every time I turn around, it seems there's another hip and trendy new pattern for this new fashion statement.

NOW...




#04 Rainy Day Fingerless Gloves



AND THEN...



These riffle mitts were uniquely designed to expose the trigger finger.  Could this be the beginning of fingerless gloves???

How about helmet style toques?  All the rage right!  We even pose our babies in them because they're so stinkin' cute.  I'm even guilty of designing one.  Take a look:

NOW...


My own Baby Bomber Hat




Aviatrix baby hat

AND THEN...

Knitted helmet cap that provided warmth under a soldier’s metal helmet.

Anyway, just some designer food for thought.  I guess as in so many forms of design over the centuries, function turns to fashion eventually in knitting as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment