Search This Blog

Trendy Knitting Patterns from me, to you...

Lovingly designed by me, for you...

polka dot

polka dot

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sherpa Boots - Featured Project by Wondrlanding

One of the things I love about being a knitwear designer is that I get to meet and interact with people from all over the world during my test knits.  One of my all-star testers is known by the username wondrlanding on Ravelry, and she has been a huge inspiration for me.  I conducted a little interview with wondrlanding about my most recent test that she participated in, my Sherpa Boots for Toddlers, so that we can all learn more about where her creative inspirations come from:

Lise-Anne: Tell us about yourself...

Eszter: My name is Eszter and I am from Hungary, where I live with my husband and our 3 year old twin daughters. Ever since I can remember I liked drawing and crafting, so instead of going towards Business studies (which was the original plan), I went to the Secondary School of Applied Arts (specialized in Textile Design), then studied Architecture in Hungary and in The Netherlands. Probably this is why I love the structure and the endless possibilities of knitted fabric so much.

Lise-Anne: How long have you been knitting, and how did you get started?

Eszter: My grandmother taught me how to cast on, knit and purl when I was about 10, since then I trained myself from books and the internet. But I have only been knitting madly since I have had my kids :)


Lise-Anne: You really have an eye for style and making a pattern your own.  What inspires you, or how do you make your decisions, such as colour combos, accents etc?

Eszter: I think anything could be inspiring around us, so an open eye and creative mood is a good start. Ideas sometimes hit me after a long day, when I lay in bed and stare at the darkness - this time the bits of things I have met recently build up the image. Other times ordinary things turn into something interesting, for example the lines I see in the water falling down from the tap... Color combinations also come from inspiration or color theory I have learned.  As for adding accents to my items, the character of the knitted item drives me.

Lise-Anne: What did you like about knitting this project in particular?

Eszter: Felting is an open ended amazing technique: I love that we need to take some risks and the surprises it gives.  Not only the texture changes, but colors and shapes, too. Besides these Sherpa Boots have an amazing extra quality: the surface does not blend completely in felting, but keeps the movement the cables create. 

Lise-Anne: You've knit a number of Pick n' Knit Patterns.  Tell us which one is your favourite and why?

Eszter: Pick n’ Knit designs are very close to me, because they all are very sculptural. Their playing with shapes, colors and different textures easily triggers my creativity. My favorite? Always the one I have just finished (now the Sherpa Boots), but my next favorite will be the Pleated Flats

Lise-Anne: Thank you so much Eszter for all your hard work and thank you for letting us take a peek into your amazing creativity!


Eszter: Thank you very much for choosing me to be featured on your blog! 


I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with such a talented knitter, and person in general.  Did I mention, she has her own designs as well?

Browse through some more beautiful projects Eszter has knit using Pick n' Knit Patterns!  Isn't she amazing!?!


Project: Stripy Flats
Pattern: Ruffled Flats
Project: Felted Ruffled Ballerinas
Pattern: Ruffled Flats
Project: Baby Finkaas
Pattern: Baby Finkaas
Project: Men's Slippers
Pattern: Men's Slippers
Project: Carmen
Pattern: Ruffled Flats

No comments:

Post a Comment